Healing from a Hysterectomy

My Story
On Dec. 19, 2006, I checked myself into Community Hospital of Monterey Penninsula (CHOMP) for a hysterectomy to be done through the birth canal. I am very lucky, for in the middle of the operation, an artery retracted up into my abdomen and spewed blood as it went. The surgical team was forced to cut through my abdomen and retrieve and close the artery.

A clot formed in this process and traveled to my heart, where it lodged in my front descending artery. It was above my previous stent from a March 2005 heart attack, which caused a second heart attack. I have the distinction of being the first person to use all of the areas at CHOMP'S new cath lab/surgical center.

They pumped 7.5 units of blood plus IV fluids into me to keep my blood pressure up. I had hit something around 23/17 and am told I was grey and double my size swollen. I spent two days in ICU and two in the heart center before I was released to go home on Dec. 23, 2006, on the condition I would report to my doctors for follow up.

I am happy to announce that my blood chemicals seem to be back to normal, and although I am still having a bit of pain and soreness in my chest and abdomen I am definitely better. The kids claim I am a vampire because I am full of other people's blood and am just now getting color back in my skin. For six months I'll wait for my body to replace the donor products with my own blood.

I am glad to be back under my regular and trusted doctors. My cardiologist has declared me a VIP and is very watchful and supportive. He has let me go back to my desk at work to answer phones and play on the computer for four hours a day as a start, but I have to do physical therapy and bring my bad cholesterol down to around 70 and my good cholesterol up as high as possible.

No comments: